Monday, November 29, 2010

a house vs. a home

i just got home from a wonderful trip to oregon for thanksgiving. i got to spend the day with my bestest friend zannie and her husband p today. it was so nice to be able to go to church with them and then to take a nap after having a snack. but coming home has really helped me understand something i already knew a little better. the importance of a house vs a home.
after spending the day with them i came home to my apartment and this is what it was like;
i walked inside to see my roommate at the kitchen sink.
she didnt acknowledge me. i said hi and she finally turned around.
but didnt respond.
i hauled my luggage through the kitchen and living room making sure not to step on all the crap on the floor from one of her projects.
i sat in my room for a while and eventually left to make food. i found myself crying as i was standing in the kitchen in a place that i felt totally uncomfortable in. and only after hurting my wrist did i realize here i was alone and feeling icky becuase of the place that i live. all this time i was alone and still managed to feel so gross when usually being alone is a relief.
im so grateful that i was able to go home this week. it always leaves me feeling grounded. things that are important become more clear to me when they may have been a little foggy before. and i am reminded of how important a home is after being in such a good environment with my family. heres what i think makes a house a home:
1. the gospel
2. a loving relationship with my husband and kids.
i really want to make sure that these things are in my home. i am so grateful for parents who have taught me the ways of the gospel and who have continualy had the spirit in our home. i love my parents. i am so grateful for their example and loving relationship. it really gives me something to strive for.
im grateful for the spirit and that the lord has specified that our homes should be a holy place. it may be tough now but i have an awesome example of what i want my home to be like in the future.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Bystander said...

You look at the world in such a different way than I do. It gives me a new perspective on life.

The Dunn's said...

Thank you for saying such sweet things! You are so special. You deserve so much better than you are experiencing right now. Keep having faith and have the courage to act when the spirit prompts you! -Mom